Monday 27 June 2022

*NEW RESEARCH* Transport Technology Frameworks Review: 2021-22

CCS logoTechMarketView has been working with the Crown Commercial Service (CCS) to explore some of its technology framework data. Today, we’re looking at the Transport Technology & Associated Services (TTAS) framework and its previous iterations, Traffic Management Technology (TMT) and Traffic Management Technology 2 (TMT2). This is the third framework review we have published, following our Digital Future and Technology Services reviews.

TTAS (RM6099) was introduced in October 2021 and is scheduled to run until October 2023 with the option to extend for a further two years. It provides public sector organisations with a larger set of transport technology products and services compared to earlier iterations and is divided into seven lots: Lot 1: Transport Professional Services; Lot 2: Transport and Pedestrian Control; Lot 3: Transport Signage and Lighting; Lot 4: Transport Data Services; Lot 5: Sustainable Transport Technologies; Lot 6: Major Transport Solutions; Lot 7: Catalogue (direct award purchases for low value, low complexity items). The agreement hosts 76 suppliers.

Report Cover ImageIn 2021-22, total spend via the Transport Technology frameworks totalled £49.1m, a decline on previous years. This decline is partly due to TTAS diversifying into Aviation, Maritime, and Rail sectors, but also a result of National Highways implementing their own framework for the next two years.

During 2021-22, The largest areas of spend were Traffic Management Professional Services (26%) and Traffic Monitoring and Traffic Enforcement Cameras (15%), which together accounted for 41% of spend during the year.

Three companies (WSP, Costain, and Mott MacDonald) broke the £5m barrier for Transport Technology income during the year. Despite the introduction of its new framework, National Highways remained the biggest spender (£22.6m) by a large margin, followed by Department for Transport (£5.8m), and Oxfordshire County Council (£4.0m).

As we discussed in last year’s Local & Regional Government Suppliers, Trends and Forecasts report, with the Government's plans to create cleaner and healthier urban environments and reduce carbon emissions, we are seeing more towns and cities introduce clean air zones (CAZ) and other low/no emission initiatives. These initiatives are increasing the need for higher quality data to inform decision making and driving demand for innovative transport solutions e.g., air quality monitoring. Carbon Net Zero targets and the need to expand electric vehicle charging infrastructure are also acting as a catalyst for growth. We also expect interest in transport technology to intensify as a result of councils being given new powers to enforce moving traffic offences.

You can find out more about TTAS here:

If you are an existing PublicSectorViews subscriber, you can access further analysis and charts now. If you’d like to discuss an extension to your existing subscription or would like details of how to subscribe to TechMarketView, please email Deb Seth.

Posted by Dale Peters at '09:24' - Tagged: transport   procurement   government   framework   data   ccs